Diakonia of the United Church of Canada
Mission & Purpose
The primary purpose of DUCC is to create and maintain community and connection among its members in order to:
- build up the body of Christ through strengthening diaconal ministries and those in diaconal ministry in the United Church,
- share information of interest with members and to others who are interested in diaconal ministry
- reflect on issues related to Diaconal Ministry within the United Church,
- advocate for Diaconal Ministry in the courts of the United Church, particularly the General Council and its Committees and Task Groups
- further theological reflection on diaconal ministry in the context of the changing face of the Christian church in our times
- appoint representatives to DIAKONIA World Federation and Diakonia of the Americas and the Caribbean (DOTAC) Click the highlighted link for more on World Federation and DOTAC.
- promote interest and involvement in international diakonia
DUCC Organizational Structure
The work of DUCC is carried out between each bi-annual National Gathering through a dispersed model of shared responsibility. It is primarily a volunteer run organization.
At the 2011 National Gathering it was decided to shift from forming Clusters or Committees exclusively regionally to allow for forming them by passion or interest regardless of geography. The 2011 – 2013 structure reflects this change and will be assessed in 2013.
Membership in DUCC is open to anyone affiliated in some way with the United Church who understands themselves to be in diaconal ministry. You’re involvement is welcomed!